Friday 11 June 2010

The MALTMEN LUNCHEON


I was asked by Peter Hutcheson the Deacon of the Maltmen to speak about the Nine Trades Project and specifically my project working within the bars, pubs and clubs in Dundee at their quarterly Maltmen Incorporated Luncheon. The Maltmen are an association that is outside of the Nine Incorporated Trades but is invited to their meetings. Historically the Maltmen are a trade union similar to all the other trades. They associate together to protect the trade and the families of those connected to the association and trade. To be a part of the Maltmen you need to be invited into membership by a pre-existing Maltmen member. It comes down to a vote and then you are inducted if you are granted membership.


On the day of the talk Adam (my apprentice) and I were treated to a great lunch where I proceeded to talk about the project and introduce my own art background and practice. I spoke about the Nine Trades Project as a whole and went in depth regarding my own side of the project. Since I was speaking to many generations of publicans and people within socially activated positions I feel that I received a good reception to the concepts behind the project and also what I am trying to achieve as an art experience. There were a fair bit of questions about how we were handling the responsibility of filming in public locations, the legacy of the project, and also what we are expecting the outcome to be like. All in all it was very pleasant and focused feedback session with people that know the industry inside out. I think there was a genuine interest in the nature of the project.


During the luncheon Peter Hutcheson presented me with a Maltmen tie. It was a great gesture. I think I'll probably sport this new accessory for the Final Gather.



Here is a newspaper article that was printed later that evening in the Evening Telegraph. When we first arrived to the venue we were ushered upstairs for a photo. I was a bit unprepared and startled. I think the photo tells the tale.

0 comments:

Post a Comment